Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 01:44:42 -0500
From: <daylasoul@...h.com>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Tempest today

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:49:09 -0500 Bipin Gautam
<gautam.bipin@...il.com> wrote:
>Ok, here is something from the book that I was trying to
>assemble/write.
>
>Some Links: http://www.eskimo.com/~joelm/tempest.html
>http://www.erikyyy.de/tempest/
>
>Lets begin…
>
>Faraday cages may be used to provide protection from HERF and EMP
>effects.
>
>Countermeasures:
>It is easy to defeat ordinary audio eavesdropping, just by
>sound-proofing a room. And simply drawing the curtains or creating
>specially crafted background noise or by using double glass with
>air
>gap in the middle can soundproof and can defeat newer systems,
>which
>shine a laser beam onto a glass window and decode any modulation of
>the reflected beam caused by sound vibrations in the room.
>
>Faraday's cage: The charge on a charged conductor resided only on
>its
>exterior, and had no influence on anything enclosed within it. To
>demonstrate this fact he built a room coated with metal foil, and
>allowed high-voltage discharges from an electrostatic generator to
>strike the outside of the room. He used an electroscope to show
>that
>there was no electric charge present on the inside of the room's
>walls. A Faraday cage is best understood as an approximation to an
>ideal hollow conductor. A round drum, sphere etc can act like a
>Faraday's Cage. Basically, the enclosure may be made of an unbroken
>conducting sheet, like the metal box surrounding a sensitive radio
>receiver, or a wire mesh, like that in the door of a microwave
>oven.
>Any holes in the box or mesh must be significantly smaller than the
>wavelength of the radiation that is being kept out, or the
>enclosure
>will not effectively approximate an unbroken conducting surface.
>
>This shielding effect is used to eliminate electric fields within a
>volume, for example to protect electronic equipment from lightning
>strikes and other electrostatic discharges (ESDs). Faraday cages
>are
>often put to a dual purpose: to block electric fields, as explained
>above, and to block electromagnetic radiation. The latter
>application
>is known as RF shielding.
>
>Some traditional architectural materials act as Faraday shields in
>practice. These include plaster with wire mesh, and rebar concrete.
>These will affect the use of cordless phones and wireless networks
>inside buildings and houses. While Some buildings have designs that
>block radio signals by accident due to thick concrete walls or a
>steel
>skeleton.
>RF and Magnetic shielding: Radio frequency (or RF) shielding is
>required when it is necessary to block high frequency - 100
>kilohertz
> [...]

Please help make the list self-policing.  Follow the list charter
and note that self-promotion is forbidden.

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485