Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 18:19:50 -0400
From: "TJ" <trejrco@...il.com>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: RE: Microsoft Vista's IPv6: Dangerous Information
	Leak?

Assuming you are not default-denying almost all traffic (and perhaps
proxying most other?) . Yes, all you need to do is block the server traffic
(UDP/3544) ... without which Teredo clients won't establish their tunnel,
and the relays never come into play.  Hopefully, as more firewalls/IDS's
become more IPv6 savvy they will learn to crack open all of the "transition
mechanism" tunnels - Prot41, UDP-encaps, etc . sooner would be better than
later.

Also, to (hopefully) answer another of Hadmut's original questions - "Am I
correct or did I overlook anything" . the only thing I would add is that
Vista is intended to "just make IPv6 work" for the unmanaged environment,
which it looks to do a decent job of . for better or worse!

To change the topic just a bit - TSP (a la Hexago/Tunnel Broker) can also
traverse NAT via UDP-encapsulation and while it (IIRC) uses UDP/3653 by
default since the TSP client needs to be manually installed anyway someone
could certainly tweak the port# L.

Thanks; and I'd love to hear more on IPv6-related topics/advancements
(offlist if not FD-relevant) . especially any distributed FW/IDS
implementations!

/TJ

PS - The availability of Teredo servers/relays is limited, for now . and the
host needs to be explicitly told the addresses of the server(s), IIRC.

wrote:

> > Yes, Teredo is a concern - both for Vista (V6 enabled by default) and

> > for those who have enabled V6 in WinXP (takes one command) ... or for

> > those who have installed a 'nix Teredo client.  All predicated on

> > Teredo servers + eelays being available, of course.

> > And, for the enterprise / managed env. - easily blockable if you try,

> > even assuming you aren't following a default deny policy :).

> > (BTW - blocking IP prot41 tunnels is also recommended, unless you

> mean

> > to let them out!)

> > /TJ (mobile)

> > PS - there is atleast one other UDP-encapsulating 'transition

> > mechanism' as well ... thinking specifically of TSP.

Content of type "text/html" skipped