Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:48:14 -0700
From: Jim Hoagland <jim_hoagland@...antec.com>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Vista's IPv6: Dangerous
	Information Leak?

Hadmut and all,

In case some people didn't see it, Symantec recently took an initial look at
Vista networking security concerns and released it's findings:
   http://tinyurl.com/eazp2

Subsequent to that I've starting taking a look at Teredo (though not so much
in the context of Vista specifically yet).

There are things to definitely watch out for with Teredo (the main one being
that having a client running creates an open ended tunnel though your NAT;
even if a host firewall, etc is applied to the tunneled IPv6 traffic, any
network-based security controls have been bypassed unless they are Teredo
aware).

However, I don't really rate disclosure of your network traffic as one of
them.  That is since Teredo servers are specifically designed to never
handle the tunneled network data; they only handle tunnel set-up packets.

Teredo relays do handle your real traffic, but so do IPv4 and IPv6 routers
in normal cases.  So the risk of disclosure from that doesn't rate
significantly higher to me.  (BTW, Microsoft has written code for a Teredo
client, server, and relay, but they only plan to operate servers
themselves.)

BTW, servers in Teredo are stateless, so they have no memory of clients they
have helped in the past (unless of course they keep a log).

Here's a good step-by-step intro to Teredo that Microsoft wrote:
   http://tinyurl.com/c6qh7
And of course there is the RFC:
   http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4380.txt

Hope this helps,