Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:23:36 -0400
From: "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@....cmu.edu>
To: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: AFS - The Ultimate Sulution? -- What is the
	point?

On Sep 17, 2006, at 10:03 , Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:
> youself
> for each bugfix "Could this *potentially* have been leveraged by a
> clued
> hacker?".

I haven't noticed many issues beyond potential denial of service
attacks --- which are mitigated to some extent by replication (of
course, someone could go after *all* the servers...).  The biggest
problems at this point are:

- if you get the afs/cell@...LM key, you've got the entire cell
- no data encryption to speak of (fcrypt?  it is to laugh)

Work is being done on both fronts, although I'm not the right person
to speak to about either.

In any case, you need to lock up your DB and file servers as tight as
you can if you want the cell to be at all secure.

(Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has, other than inadvertently,
tested how AFS reacts to invalid packets.  One of those things I'd
love to do if I ever got a few round tuits....)

--
brandon s. allbery    [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]     allbery@...nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery@....cmu.edu