Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:16:30 -0500
From: Paul Schmehl <pauls@...allas.edu>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Could InfoSec be Worse than Death?

--On Monday, September 25, 2006 08:05:10 -0400 "Kenneth F. Belva"
<ken@...security.com> wrote:

[snip]

> There is an alternative: Virtual Trust(2) as an information security
> model. According to the Virtual Trust model, security actually creates
> business and generates revenue.

Do present day management types spend heaps of money on good will?  My
anecdotal experience says they do not - at least not in most cases.  There
are notable exceptions, such as Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, for whom good will
seems to be a driving force in their decision making, but for the most part
corporate types are focused on short-term profits, not good will or trust.

In fact, I can think of several examples where the company's public-facing
services (tech support, customer service, etc.) seem deliberately designed
to irritate the customer to no end, yet they continue to do business quite
nicely.

Whether you approach the "selling" of security from the risk avoidance
angle or the virtual trust angle or even the fear of imprisonment angle, I
think the bottom line is, security (in fact, all of IT) will always be
viewed as a cost center, just as accounting and other support functions
are.  Unless you can demonstrate concrete revenue generationg directly
attributable to security, I don't think you can overcome that perception
(and loss avoidance through trust building does not generate revenue.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/
Content of type "application/pkcs7-signature" skipped