Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 05:38:06 -0800
From: "Thomas Pollet" <thomas.pollet@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: windows vulnerability? [was: Re:
	[Code-Crunchers] 137 bytes]

Hello,

On 08/11/06, Gadi Evron <ge@...uxbox.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, onisan wrote:
> > One thing is in this makes it even more interesting, most of the
> firewalls
> > do not block this download, so it's smallest and most dangerous
> downloader
> > at the same time :o
>
> What Alex did is very impressive! Matthew Murphy came up with the idea
> originally, I think, but it doesn't take from this amazing work in any
> way.
> *awe struck*
>
> I'd say more though, it's a vulnerability.
>
> If you can load a library remotely, and do so with no problems, it's a
> vulnerability in Windows. I am not sure of what kind quite yet.

Windows handles UNC paths the same way as local  paths. Another mechanism
used to load a remote dll using a UNC path is described in
http://opensores.thebunker.net/pub/mirrors/blackhat/presentations/win-usa-04/bh-win-04-litchfield/bh-win-04-litchfield.pdf

here the "system" directory is overwritten with a (unc) directory owned by
by the attacker. When GetSystemDirectoryW() is called to load the
faultrep.dll on exception, an attacker can supply his backdoored
faultrep.dll. I don't think you should classify this as a vulnerability,
it's known windows behaviour (yet, windows, a vulnerability all by itself?).

Regards,
Thomas

The mother of all downloaders.

> "The Zone has a new King!" <we're not worthy x3>
>         -- Jeff, Coupling (BBC, UK).
>
>         Gadi.
>
> > -- G

> > > You're right, you can remove the last field and bring the file size
> down
> > > to 133 bytes. That's what I get for claiming that the size can't be
> > > improved :-)
> > >
> > > Solar

Content of type "text/html" skipped