Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 07:50:00 -0500
From: "David Swafford" <dswafford@...erhighschool.org>
To: <matthew.flaschen@...ech.edu>, <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	<jimpop@...oo.com>
Subject: Re: Sasser

I think this depends a lot the size of the school.  Take for example the
school I work with, a parochial school of about 700 students and about
50 staff members, one campus with three buildings.  We've got about 300
computers and 8 servers, one large core switch and a few
access/distribution combined switches.  In this environment I'm
basically the one man show--I'm sysadmin, second level help desk, I run
a student technology club that meets every week (which I would say is
similar to the guy teaching a networking class, yet mine is only once a
week) and I do all of the hardware troubleshooting, new equip.
installation.  I've got two helping me, one on the software side and and
one on the hardware side but most things end up coming to me.  In this
situation we are not part of a district and run our own network.  I
think when you get out to much bigger networks like with multi-school
district networks then it gets much more complicated.  With being close
to the source locally it would be much easier for me to pull of a
project like this guy is asking about wheras in a large campus like a
college or something it would be more problematic as there are a lot
more aspects involved and things that could go wrong.  Though I'm in an
entirly novell based server environment so I may be biased in regards to
viruses since my servers never get bothered by them--its kinda like macs
and all of my windows pc's wipe all changes at shutdown except for staff
machines which are isolated into a separate VLAN from the student
machines (also separated via ACLs preventing traffic from crossing
between the vlans, all vlans are only allowed to directly access the
server and interenet gateway vlans in my setup).

David.

>>> Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@...ech.edu> 11/29/06 1:42 AM >>>
I'm in the U.S. too, but the only networking class I've been in
definitely wasn't taught by the sysadmin.

Matt

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 23:22 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> I also don't think it would be the sysadmin's job to help with a
networking class.

> Here in the states it's usually the networking class teacher that
stays
> late and doubles as the sysadmin.  :-)
>
> -Jim P.

Founded in Faith - Preserved with Pride - Sustained by Spirit