Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 15:30:36 -0500
From: Michael Holstein <michael.holstein@...ohio.edu>
To: Ozan Ozkara <ozan@...ptos.net>
Cc: Wifisec <wifisec@...urityfocus.com>,
	Full-Disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: 802.1X tool?

Okay .. wait, maybe I didn't understand your question.

Windows XP (post sp1) can natively do 802.1x on both wired and wireless
connections. Windows 2000 can do it if you get this :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313664

You can push the 802.1x details out via GPO.
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/5506eeef-9e91-4cab-8e1e-3efb504d1b471033.mspx

The wired instructions are similar.

If you're not in a domain model (ie: you're talking about a college
resnet, etc) you're out of luck on the GPOs, but you can do it other
ways (package your own script, .reg file, etc .. but telling people to
click "ok" on a .reg file is a *bad* thing to do...

It gets a bit trickier if you're using client-side certs, more so if
you're not using a Microsoft CA to issue them, but certainly not
impossible (eg: you've got to import the root and client certs manually,
not to mention getting OpenSSL/whatever to cough up ones that MS
understands) ...

Cheers,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University