Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:41:38 +0100
From: Albert <caruabertu@...il.com>
To: coderman@...il.com
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, websecurity@...appsec.org
Subject: comparing information security to other
	industries -

my mileage differs.

Far east competition using quality engineering and giving >2 years
guarantees around the 1980s made the crucial difference, not the
intervening >120  years since the invention of the modern car engines
OTTO DIESEL and WANKEL.

cf.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_motor_and_engine_technology

In 1973 most cars sold were as buggy as software is today.
New models suffered from design faults, poor choice of materials and
mass recalls were the order of the day.

20 years is thus more like the time needed for the complex machinery
to be made reliable, given the right legal penalties and consumer
pressures.

p.s. Nowadays, cars have not one but several processors and computers
inside these days - and are still reliable and resilient, easy to use
etc...

regards
Albert