Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:21:43 +0000
From: "Dinis Cruz" <dinis@...lus.net>
To: "Nancy Kramer" <nekramer@...dtheater.net>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, websecurity@...appsec.org
Subject: Re: [WEB SECURITY] Re: comparing information
	security to other industries

The problem here is an economic one, unfortunately it seems that we will
have to wait for the cost of exploitation of digital (from web sites down)
assets is bigger than the money made by those 'insecure' applications.

So far, in general, the business model of the attackers has not evolved
beyond basic/simple exploits (the ones that have evolved are not significant
and probably make enough money without leving much trace).

Dinis Cruz
Chief OWASP Evangelist
http://www.owasp.org

On 12/20/06, Nancy Kramer <nekramer@...dtheater.net> wrote:

> At 03:16 PM 12/19/2006, KT wrote:
> >What I am trying to figure out is how mature we are and how long will it
> >take for to get stable?
>

> Not very mature and it will take a long time to get stable because
> programmers are just beginning to be aware of application security
> requirements and then they need to figure out how to implement
> them.  Remember most programmers came from a client server or mainframe
> world and they "don't get it".  The consumer also doesn't "get it".  They
> work great together.
>
> I went to a PHP Conference recently and the creator of PHP said that there
> is not such thing as a completely secure web application.  When failure is
> a goal you will definitely get there.
>
> I know all this because I am a programmer by background.  Most people
> designing web applications know so little about security it is scary.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nancy Kramer
> Webmaster http://www.americandreamcars.com
> Free Color Picture Ads for Collector Cars
> One of the Ten Best Places To Buy or Sell a Collector Car on the Web
>

> --
> 12/17/2006

Content of type "text/html" skipped