Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 11:23:26 +0000
From: "Michael Simpson" <mikie.simpson@...il.com>
To: imipak <imipak@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: [WEB SECURITY] Re: comparing information
	security to other industries

On 12/27/06, imipak <imipak@...il.com> wrote:
> Krainium wrote:
>
> > How long would a pharmaceutical company
> > exist if it's drugs were known to be poisonous?  Would the patient buy and
> > take the antidote so they could continue using the drug, much like we now buy
> > and use all kinds of antivirus, anti-trojan, anti-spyware, etc?
>

> Adverse drug reactions (aka "side effects") are roughly speaking the
> fourth leading cause of death in the USA (and presumably similar rates
> prevail in other developed economies.)
>

> Lazarou J, Pomeranz B, Corey PN. Incidence of adverse drug reactions
> in hospitalized patients: A meta-analysis of prospective studies. JAMA
> 1998;279:1200–1205.
>

> cheers
>
> /i
>
> --
> And what exactly is a dream?
> And what exactly is a joke?
>                                            - Syd Barrett

seems appropriate to introduce concepts from the work of ivan illich
at this point

http://www.infed.org/thinkers/et-illic.htm

http://jech.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/57/12/919)

"medical nemesis" should be required reading for any medic and his
theories in general should be studied by individuals belonging to any
emerging profession