Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 15:56:46 +0200
From: Tõnu Samuel <tonu@....ee>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk,
	"pdp (architect)" <pdp.gnucitizen@...glemail.com>,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, "Web Security" <websecurity@...appsec.org>
Subject: Fwd: Re: Universal XSS with PDF files: highly
	dangerous

Oops, please discart previous post author. I used wrong profile in home
desktop :P

Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Universal XSS with PDF files: highly dangerous
Date: Friday 05 January 2007 15:53
From: Kristina Lein <kristina@....ee>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Cc: "pdp (architect)" <pdp.gnucitizen@...glemail.com>,

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 04:20, pdp (architect) wrote:
> I will be very quick and just point to links where you can read about
> this issue.
>
> It seams that PDF documents can execute JavaScript code for no
> apparent reason by using the following template:
>

> http://path/to/pdf/file.pdf#whatever_name_you_want=javascript:your_code_her
>
> You must understand that the attacker doesn't need to have write
> access to the specified PDF document. In order to get an XSS vector
> working you need to have a PDF file hosted on the target and that's
> all about it. The rest is just a matter of your abilities and desires.

Even more, maybe it is possible to modify content of PDF with this method.
Some way (I have not tried though) described here;

http://www.planetpdf.com/developer/article.asp?ContentID=6904

Need to write POC

Also I have to tell that my firefox crashed when I appended some random
document.write('foobar') to exploit. I suppose it wrote it to PDF memory?! In
this case we maybe can also execute code? Scary.

  Tõnu