Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:03:52 +0100
From: Alessandro Dellavedova <alessandro.dellavedova@...m-ieo-campus.it>
To: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf@...ne.ids.pl>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, pen-test@...urityfocus.com,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: 0trace - traceroute on established connections

Hi,

am I wrong or the mechanism that you implement is similar to the one
implemented in lft (Layer Four Traceroute http://pwhois.org/lft/ ) ?

 From the homepage:

"LFT is the all-in-one traceroute tool because it can launch a
variety of different probes using both UDP and TCP layer-4 protocols.
For example, rather than only launching UDP probes in an attempt to
elicit ICMP "TTL exceeded" from hosts in the path, LFT can send TCP
SYN or FIN probes to target arbitrary services. Then, LFT listens for
"TTL exceeded" messages, TCP RST (reset), and various other
interesting heuristics from firewalls or other gateways in the path.
LFT also distinguishes between TCP-based protocols (source and
destination), which make its statistics slightly more realistic, and
gives a savvy user the ability to trace protocol routes, not just
layer-3 (IP) hops. With LFT's verbose output, much can be discovered
about a target network."

Ciao,

Alessandro