Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 15:40:04 +0300
From: 3APA3A <3APA3A@...URITY.NNOV.RU>
To: "M. Burnett" <mb@...o.net>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Vista/2003/XP/2000 file
	management security issues

Dear M. Burnett,

--Friday, March 9, 2007, 7:12:31 AM, you wrote to 3APA3A@...URITY.NNOV.RU:

MB> 3APA3A, I just wanted to say that is very clever research you have done.
MB> It's true that this does require some re-thinking of security practices, but
MB> I don't think it's accurate to say it's impossible to secure a private
MB> folder in a public one--I believe there is a way to do it securely.

Of  cause,  there  is  always  a  way  to  solve one specific problem. A
solution  for  problem  #1  has  problem #2. Solution for problem #2 has
problem #3.

MB> There are three basic attacks you described:
MB> 1. Attacker deletes a users' new folder then immediately re-creates it,
MB> establishing ownership of the folder
MB> 2. Attacker predicts filename, creates the file, then keeps it open for all
MB> access, retaining rights on the file
MB> 3. Attacker creates and deletes a file but keeps it open, denying any other
MB> access to that file.

And

   4.  By  forcing  irresolvable replication collision on DFS replicated
   folder  in  conjunction  with  [3]  attacker can delete newly created
   files  (and  probably folders, I did no test) created by another user
   even in case of permissions like this:

   Users: Add & read
   Creator Owner: full control (or something, doesn't matter).

MB> The last two attacks could be prevented by creating new files in a private
MB> folder that prevents others from creating files. However, item 1 could
MB> compromise the security of that folder when it is initially created. To
MB> prevent that situation you would need to make sure that, within a public
MB> directory, only the CREATOR OWNER can delete a folder, which I believe is
MB> the default setting.

MB> But, as you noticed, others can still delete that folder. There is a quirky
MB> thing in NTFS that allows users to delete subfolders and files without even
MB> having delete permissions on those files (see
MB> http://xato.net/bl/2007/01/04/pointless-permissions/). I think that if you
MB> set permissions on a folder that prevented users from deleting children, and
MB> only allowed CREATOR OWNER to delete new folders, when a user creates a new
MB> folder it will be secure, therefore protecting you from 2 and 3.

 The problem with replicated folder has no relation to NTFS permissions.
 It's  not  replication service itself, not user who deletes the file of
 folder, because of collision. Attacker only forces collision situation.
 This  can  not  be  fixed by NTFS permissions. "Add" NTFS permission is
 only required to remove somebody's newly created file.

 For replication service attacks is:

 1. Victim creates Folder
 2. Attacker creates Folder with same name on different replication mirror
 and locks it.
 3. Replication service detects collision and removes Folder
 4. Attacker creates Folder again
 5. Folder is replicated. Attacker is now folder owner.

MB> I haven't fully tested this to verify it, but I believe this would prevent
MB> all the scenarios you described, although a user could still prevent the
MB> initial folder creation if they could predict the filename.

 As  you  can see, there is at least one situation where your assumption
 is wrong, a case of DFS replication.

 Of  cause,  it  still can be solved somehow, but who can guarantee it's
 impossible to find problem #5 in solution for problem #4?

--
~/ZARAZA http://securityvulns.com/
Почтенные ископаемые! Жду от вас дальнейших писем.  (Твен)