Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:21:45 -0400
From: "Kevin Finisterre (lists)" <kf_lists@...italmunition.com>
To: richfa1@....com
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: XBOX ID's being Jacked

There are lots of folks that mention obtaining the IP in order to
hack your account. They usually say they have done this with Cain and
Able or Commview or any other sniffer out there. You IP can be easily
obtained by the usual standby groups or bridgers....  The only reason
they want your IP is because that can buy them ONE piece of
information. In some cases if you have paid for the proper program
you can get an address and GPS coordinates for an IP. In most cases
the address will be that of your neighborhood router or something
like that.

I just wanted to clear this up as there appears to be some confusion
over what the IP address has to do with prextexing Microsoft XBL
employees.

You can try something like this...

http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/iplocation.asp?
ipaddress=209.11.233.26

and get something back like this

IP Address 209.11.233.26

City FINDLAY

State or Region OHIO

Country UNITED STATES

ISP CENTRACOMM COMMUNICATIONS.

This may be JUST enough info to trick a dumb employee

-KF

On Mar 22, 2007, at 7:21 PM, richfa1@....com wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> My son's Xbox Live ID was jacked by "Brad" of the o Infamous o
> Clan. It happened in such a short amount of time that I don't feel
> that it was a case of Social Engineering. I did some research and
> came up with a way to do it using your Xbox, with Action Replay and
> a memory card, and the DVD of the game Splinter Cell, your PC
> Kernal IP Logger and an FTP program. It seems that the DVD has a
> copy of Linux on it that you use to help get the person's gamertag
> by using that person's IP address.
>
> I found the steps to do it on a message board. However, by the time
> I got to it, the message board admin had edited it and then also
> closed the thread. I think that the social engingineering angle is
> only a small percentage of the ID thefts. I have a feeling that the
> technical way is more likely how the majority of IDs are stolen.
>
> Rich
> free from AOL at AOL.com.

Content of type "text/html" skipped