Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 17:17:48 +0100
From: "James (njan) Eaton-Lee" <james.mailing@...il.com>
To: Gadi Evron <ge@...uxbox.org>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: More information on ZERT patch for ANI 0day

Gadi Evron wrote:
> Although eEye has released a third-party patch that will prevent the
> latest exploit from working, it doesn't fix the flawed copy routine. It
> simply requires that any cursors loaded must reside within the Windows
> directory (typically C:\WINDOWS\ or C:\WINNT\). This approach should
> successfully mitigate most "drive-by's," but might be bypassed by an
> attacker with access to this directory.

I'm thinking that an attacker with write access to %systemroot% probably
has juicier, simpler targets to attack (which potentially let them run
code in a higher security context) than animated cursors.

  - James.

--
   James (njan) Eaton-Lee | UIN: 10807960 | http://www.jeremiad.org

    "All at sea again / And now my hurricanes
    Have brought down this ocean rain / To bathe me again"

  https://www.bsrf.org.uk | ca: https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3
--

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/x-pkcs7-signature" (3521 bytes)