Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 05:30:50 +0200
From: "Thor Larholm" <larholm@...il.com>
To: "pdp (architect)" <pdp.gnucitizen@...glemail.com>
Cc: "webappsec @OWASP" <webappsec@...ts.owasp.org>,
	full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	WASC Forum <websecurity@...appsec.org>
Subject: Re: Firefox extensions go Evil - Critical
	Vulnerabilities in Firefox/Firebug

I have identified a second critical 0day vulnerability in Firebug
which also affects the updated Firebug v1.0.3. The scope is the same,
read/write/execute files.

http://larholm.com/2007/04/06/more-0day-in-firebug/

There's a detailed walkthrough at the above, including a simplistic
POC that verifies whether script was injected into the browser Chrome.
>>From there any practical exploit would be similar to all of the older
Firefox browser Chrome exploits.

Joe Hewitt has already responded to the above and my previous post
(http://larholm.com/2007/04/06/0day-vulnerability-in-firebug/),
stating that an updated version of Firebug (1.0.4) should be released
now. Updates are available and should trickle out to Firebug users
through Mozilla's automated update system within the next few days. If
you can't wait for that then go to Tools, Add-ons and click "Find
Updates".

The updated version of Firebug should also prevent any closely related
vulnerabilities as Joe has updated his domplate constructors to
forcefully escape all strings before they are inserted into the
console HTML.

Cheers
Thor Larholm