Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:43:24 +0200
From: "Maxim Veksler" <hq4ever@...il.com>
To: steven@...shmail.org
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: DNS mining ?

On 4/9/07, Steven <steven@...shmail.org> wrote:
> There are numerous tools out there that will take IP addresses and report
> back [all] the domains on them.  The best one I came across some time
> about was the Reverse IP search from www.domaintools.com.  Unfortunately
> to get the entire list you have to pay now -- I think.  You used to just
> be able to register for a free account that would let you do 5 searches a
> day and show you all the domains.  So if one IP had 3000 domains on it, it
> would let you go through all of them, and that was one search.  Now you
> can just see a small selection.
>
> There are all similar tools on the Internet.  Someone posted a while back
> on Full Disclosure and Security Focus about how to find all the domains on
> a particular IP.  There were a few websites that people listed.  Usually
> when used in conjunction with one another they would accurate list most of
> the domains on an IP.  However, after using those and then finding this
> site, I found this tool to always equal to or better than using the
> combination of others.
>
> So just take Google IP addresses, such as on the IP your rfsee.net is on
> (72.14.207.99) and put it in their Reverse IP lookup.
>
> http://www.domaintools.com/reverse-ip/
>
> I forgot the other websites.  I suppose they would be better now that this
> search is limited.

That clears the picture a-lot of "how" the list of sites pointing at
google.com was composed, but more generally speaking it's just passing
the stick from one guy to another corporation. OK, this guy copied the
list generated using domaintools.com reverse-ip lookup utility, great.
Still the question remains - How do they do it? What/How are they
monitoring to keep their database up to date?

Never the less, thanks for the very helpful pointer.

> Steven

Maxim.

--

Cheers,