Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 18:05:37 -0400
From: Kradorex Xeron <admin@...ibase.ca>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Linux big bang theory....

On Thursday 10 May 2007 19:43, KJKHyperion wrote:
> J. Oquendo wrote:
> > KJKHyperion wrote:
> >> why, Windows machines of course, I'm an attacker, not a fool! If you
> >> were a terrorist, what would you rather do?
> >>
> >> Crash the Twin Towers
> >> Crash the dollar
> >>
> >> There is no such thing as an "attacker". All actions, even such an
> >> individual's, are driven by economical considerations.
> >
> > With this said, if I were an attacker with economics in mind
> > why would I want to target a machine which has X amount of
> > vendors sifting through the much of malware and viruses when
> > I could spawn off an semi undetectable program and KEEP IT
> > THERE without having to wait for the next best thing.
>
> So many misconceptions, so little time.
>
> First of all, I meant economical in not just a monetary sense, but the
> wider sense of balancing conflict in everyone's interest. And well, I
> got the impression you were thinking of outlandish lose-lose (hence
> anti-economical) scenarios where some loose cannon shuts down the whole
> internet, but on second thought I might have been wrong on that account.
> The idea was that, as effective an enemy-killer crashing the dollar
> would be, it would prove counterproductive, damaging irreparably the
> very currency that puts bread on your table and AK-47 on your shoulder.
> So a purely economical evaluation will bring you to choose, instead, the
> option causing the lesser evil (i.e. the virtual death of the airline
> terrorism market).
>
> Second, don't kid yourself, the market of security suites for Windows
> is, at best, an open-air fish marketplace (a terrible stink, a lot of
> yelling and products with an inherently short freshness timespan the
> first similarities that come to mind, but I'm sure the mental picture
> will evoke you many others).
>
> I have written Windows attack software for a living, and there's one
> thing I can write down and undersign in my own blood: Windows cannot be
> secured. Which is very bad news for the whole industry, Windows being
> the system with the highest security/feature richness ratio, or in other
> words the culmination of the state of the art of software engineering as
> we know it. We lack the semantic tools to even express *what* Windows
> does, much less how, much less to tell right from wrong
>
> [The feeble-minded, confronted with this, retreat in the virtualization
> hugbox, forgetting the historic lesson that the Titanic sank because the
> flooding bypassed the (insufficiently fine-grained, at that) waterproof
> compartments by reaching *over* them -- and let's leave it at that,
> before runaway metaphorization makes me say something about how Leonardo
> Di Caprio fits that I will regret]
>
> There is nothing, absolutely nothing you can do to isolate applications,
> or tell malicious from normal behavior. Hell, you can hardly tell apart
> applications from each other. An application is often just an EXE, but
> [...]

Amen.

And to add to this most security software is becoming more and more chunky,
more flashy and less efficient and less effective,

Personally it seems like they spend more time on the UI/marketing then they do
the engine, and companies like Symantec purposefully expect users to be
strangled into buying new versions every year or so with "Licence renewal".
If these companies were dedicated to security like they say they are, they'd
stop the marketing bs and develop the software properly (no mandated licence
renewal).

Furtheremore, most users depend too heavily on this so-called "security
software" and think they are imune to everything with it. Security software
companies should be made to stop this false advertizing that it "Will protect
you from malware" and stop this additude that 'you can click on anything and
the software will protect you' Because the advertizing is effectively causing
this additude among users, thus causing MORE infections than if users were
under the caution of malware infection.

Then you get the bunch who say "I know what I'm doing, I know how to protect
my computer" then they go off and end up getting infected and have a hard
time and end up having to wipe their machines when their
antivirus/antispyware is unable to remove something.

You can scan with antivirus/antispyware to death and you may or may not be
clean. Not even the combined engines of all antimalware can you be sure that
your computer is clean. Call me paranoid but how can anyone be sure that the
said systems are 100% clean? it's a risk you have to take every time you load
new data onto your system.

The marketing is making users blind, it's giving them a false sense of
security, especially in the Mac community. And frankly, I am SICK of it.

-Krad Xeron