Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 15:33:57 -0400
From: <Glenn.Everhart@...se.com>
To: <jlowry@....com>, <fdlist@...italoffense.net>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Maybe nothing so shady; depends on the motive.

There may be no impersonation going on. Could be that email for terminated
people is directed to a common mailbox which might be perused by security folks
to check whether anything wrong might have been going on and not noticed while
the person was there. In effect the mail has then gone to a wildcard name
at the company's machine. If you send to the machine, you should not be surprised
if someone representing the machine owner might read it.

Someone communicating exploits might attract interest, if nothing else just
to see that whoever was represented by the Maynor address did not appear to
be involved in some crime ring.

I seem to recall various stories of people being caught doing things they should
not by events that happened shortly after they left a company.

As for keeping old accounts or mailboxes in being, the advice used to be given
that disabling accounts but leaving them was better than deleting because an
attempted use of a disabled account would produce messages about "account foo login fail"
or the like, where unknown accounts would produce "account <unknown> login fail". Same
kind of thing works for mail. It can be better to know if a recently departed person's
account is being attempted. You can then ask that person if he/she was the one trying
it, and why, for example.

Glenn Everhart