Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:20:36 -0400
From: "Rob McCauley" <robm.fd@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Does this exist ?

Ya know, I don't think he does get that part yet.

This scheme is essentially how data compression already works.  Not in
gigantic swaths of bits, as being proposed here, but in smalish numbers a
few bits represents a bigger set of bits.  Huffman coding is a basic
example.

The infeasability of this idea is all about the data size.  As someone
already pointed out 2^4000 is not 16,000,000 (that's 4000^2).  2^4,000 is
large enough to just call it infinite and be done with it.

For comparison, there's something like 2^100 to 2^130 or so atoms in the
known universe.  The hardware you'd need to implement a database of that
size would require more matter than exists.  Period.

This idea is only interesting if it works at the scale proposed.  It
doesn't.  On a smaller scale, this is how data compression is already done.

Rob

> On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 01:52:55 -0500, Dan Becker wrote:
> > So we generate a packet using the idpacket field of a database to
> > describe which packets should be assembled in which order then send
> > it. 1 packet to send 500.
>
> Do you realize the id of the packet(s) would be equivalent to the contents
> of the package(s)?
>
> See also
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_entropy#Entropy_as_information_content

Content of type "text/html" skipped