Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 23:48:51 -0700
From: "Lance M. Havok" <lmh@...o-pull.com>
To: dailydave@...ts.immunitysec.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk,
	fuzzing@...testar.linuxbox.org
Subject: The truth

Hi,

Since the cover is becoming more difficult to maintain, I've decided
to stop this. It simply can't stand anymore and I can't let this harm
my company and its customers.

I am David Maynor. I made up the LMH identity for bashing Apple and
appearing on the media while I was preparing for launching Errata
Security with Robert. Since my credibility was severely damaged after
the wireless driver exploit, I needed a sock puppet.

The idea of LMH and the Month of Apple Bugs came a while after I
resigned from SecureWorks. I know some malicious people out there
(including the Infosec Sellout, also known as Jon Ramsey... my
old manager at SecureWorks) claim I was fired, but that's simply false.

It seemed like a flawless public relations campaign for boosting the
start of Errata and a great opportunity to attack Apple safely. It was
also a safe from the standpoint of my old employer, SecureWorks, which
had an agreement with Apple.

After the Month of Apple bugs, the whole LMH thing became useless and
there was no attention from media anymore. Although, the identity
behind Infosec Sellout was unknown to me and Robert, thus I thought I
could still give it a good use. I attempted to contact Infosec
Sellout, writing a fake log of a SILC conversation with a story that
seemed to be consistent. Surprisingly I managed to make him believe it
was legitimate and he replied enthusiastically about publishing a post
about it. Not a long while afterwards, I contacted my friend from
StillSecure, Martin McKeay (we met at RSA with some other people) and
decided to spread gossip and simulate a 'leak' about LMH's identity. I
also feared that some people started to be suspicious, about LMH
being, in fact, no other but myself: David Maynor. Again I had a way
to cover up and find out who was behind the Infosec Sellout blog.

Now the cover is not possible anymore, since Robert McMillan published
information quoting H.D. Moore and Thomas Ptacek, stating that
'Infosec Sellout can't be LMH'. It mentions Dave Aitel's unmask.py
tool being used to statically analyze the text of the different
postings. This represents the inevitable failure of my intentions to
maintain the LMH identity secret, and hence my decision to recognize
it publicly before it gets back to Errata and our customers. I've been
always a responsible professional in the information security
industry.

Those who have worked with me, including my ISS team: Chris Rouland,
Tom Cross and David Dewey, can provide references and information about
my skill base, my personal integrity and professionalism throughout my career
in the industry. Tom was even sitting right next to me and David is
now in a management position. They could explain why I decided to quit
ISS to pursue
a position at SecureWorks. Also others like Sherrod Degrippo from the
Georgia Institute of Technology.

bca2fee517ff50ddd01bb7d6ed9c3043
The above MD5 hash of a text file should serve as a proof in case
someone attempts to deny the statements of this message.

-- David Maynor aka LMH,
CTO, Errata Security