Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:50:40 +0200
From: fukami <fukami@...tioneins.de>
To: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: 24th Chaos Communication Congress 2007: Call for
	Participation

24th Chaos Communication Congress 2007: Call for Participation

24C3: Volldampf voraus!
24th Chaos Communication Congress
December 27th to 30th, 2007
Berlin, Germany

http://events.ccc.de/congress/2007/

Overview
========

The 24th Chaos Communication Congress (24C3) is the annual four-day
conference organized by the Chaos Computer Club (CCC) in Berlin,
Germany. First held in 1984, it since has established itself as “the
European Hacker Conference”. Lectures and workshops on a multitude of
topics attract a diverse audience of thousands of hackers,
scientists, artists, and utopists from all around the world. The
24C3s slogan is Volldampf voraus! – the German equivalent of “full
steam ahead” – a particular request for talks and projects featuring
forward looking hands-on topics. The Chaos Computer Club has always
encouraged creative and unorthodox interaction with technology and
society, in the good tradition of the real meaning of “hacking”.

Topics
======

The 24C3 conference program is roughly divided into six general
categories. These categories serve as guidelines for your submissions
(and later as a means of orientation for your prospective audience).
However, it is not mandatory for your talk to exactly match the
descriptions below. Anything that is interesting and/or funny will be
taken into consideration.

# Hacking

The ‘Hacking’ category addresses topics dealing with technology,
concentrating on current research with high technical merit.
Traditionally, the majority of all lectures at 24C3 revolve around
hacking.

Topics in this domain include but are in no way limited to:
programming, hardware hacking, cryptography, network and system
security, security exploits, and creative use of technology.

# Making

The ‘Making’ category is all about making and breaking things and the
wonderful stuff you can build in your basement or garage. Most
welcome are submissions dealing with the latest in electronics, 3D-
fabbing, climate-change survival technology, robots and drones, steam
machines, alternative transportation tools and guerilla-style knitting.

# Science

The ‘Science’ category covers current or future objects of scientific
research that have the potential to radically change our lives, be it
basic research or projects conducted for the industry.

We are looking for talks and papers on the state of the art in this
domain, covering subjects such as nano technology, quantum computing,
high frequency physics, bio-technology, brain-computer interfaces,
automated analysis of surveillance cctv, etc.

# Society

Technology development causes great changes in society and will
determine our future. This category is for all talks on subjects like
hacker tools and the law, surveillance practices, censorship,
intellectual property and copyright issues, data retention, software
patents, effects of technology on kids, and the impact of technology
on society in general.

# Culture

Shaping the world we live in means making it more interesting,
entertaining and beautiful. The hacker culture has many facets
ranging from electronic art objects, stand-up comedy, geek
entertainment, video game and board game culture, music, 3D art to e-
text literature and beyond. If you like to show your art and teach
others how to make their lives more enjoyable, this category is for you.

# Community

In addition to individual speakers the Chaos Communication Congress
is also inviting groups such as developer teams, projects and
activists to present themselves and their topics.

Developer groups are also encouraged to ask for support to hold
smaller on-site developer conferences and meetings in the course of
the Congress.

Further Information
===================

The Chaos Communication Congress is a non-profit oriented event and
speakers are not paid. However, financial help on travel expenses and
accommodation is possible. It needs to be agreed upon after
acceptance of the submission, though. Don't be shy and state your
requirements when submitting your lecture and we'll work something out!

You can find the preliminary agenda and additional information on our
24C3 website at http://events.ccc.de/congress/2007/.

For further information and questions please feel free to contact
24c3-content@...v.de

Submissions
===========

All proposals must be submitted online using our online lecture
submission system at https://cccv.pentabarf.org/submission/24C3.
Please follow the instructions given there. If you have any questions
regarding your submission, feel free to contact us at 24c3-
content@...v.de but do NOT submit your lecture via e-mail.

Language
========

24C3 is an international event and we want to have a lot of
interesting talks in English for the benefit of our growing number of
international guests. So ideally we are looking for speakers who can
give lectures and/or workshops in either English or German. But while
we are interested in maximum quality of presentation, the topic and
its relevance to our community are our main concern. So don't worry
about your English skills: the language of a submission is not a
criteria for accepting or rejecting it!

If you feel insecure talking in English, have received criticism on
your language skills from your audience before, or if you just fear
that the value and understandability of your lecture might suffer,
please offer your talk in German. Please tell us if you are a native
speaker of English or have similar skills, when submitting your lecture.

Lecture Requirements
====================

Lectures should not exceed 45 minutes plus up to 10 minutes for
questions and answers. Longer time slots are possible if we feel the
topic demands it (please tell us if necessary). Workshops should
include a talk on the basic principles and a practical hands-on section.

Dates and deadlines

The deadline for submission is October 12th, 2007 Midnight UTC.
Notification of acceptance will be sent by e-mail on November 11th,
2007 the latest. However, you may very well get your notification
earlier than that if needed. Final papers or slides are due by
November 18th, 2007.

* October 12th, 2007 (Midnight UTC) Submission due
* November 11th, 2007 Final notification of acceptance (or earlier)
* November 18th, 2007 Final papers/presentations due
* December 27th - 30th, 2007 Chaos Communication Congress