Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:04:08 -0400
From: Simon Smith <simon@...soft.com>
To: "Joel R. Helgeson" <joel@...geson.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: What do you guys make of this?

I agree with what you said for the most part. I also know that most
Russian people are very happy with what Putin is doing. Thus far, in
their eyes, he's one of the best leaders that they've had in ages. Do
you think that Russia is actually going to become a threat again? Do you
think this will go back to the cold-war like times?

Joel R. Helgeson wrote:
> There was a time in foreign policy where no country, no diplomat would make
> a foreign policy decision without first asking "what does Russia think of
> this?". Well, Russia is no longer a super power, the fall from which left
> Putin feeling excluded. He's always wanted to get Russia back to superpower
> status, he wants his Mother Russia to be significant again.
>
> For years, the Russian economy was cash strapped. Just recently Putin
> revamped the entire tax system and implemented a 12% flat tax. For the first
> time since the collapse, the tax revenues are POURING in. They now have
> enough gas to fuel a plane, and now they want to get back into being viewed
> as a superpower, to be 'feared', they desperately want to matter again, to
> be important.
>
> So, they're acting out in an aggressive manner - using tried and true cold
> war era tactics.  It comes across to me as childish, throwing a fit just to
> get attention.
>
> It is not propaganda, Russia is just trying to say "We're BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!
> And this time, we've got 31337 H4x0rz!"
>
> Joel Helgeson
> 952-858-9111

- simon