Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 18:34:00 +0200
From: Alexander Klink <a.klink@...ops.de>
To: "Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.)" <eddy_nigg@...rtcom.org>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, dev-security@...ts.mozilla.org,
	dev-tech-crypto@...ts.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Firefox 2.0.x: tracking unsuspecting users
	using TLS client	certificates

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 05:00:51PM +0300, Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) wrote:
> However information stated in certificates signed by CAs isn't usually
> "private" and depending on the CA policy even published via directories
> and other different channels, so I'm not sure if this could be an
> invasion of privacy. Also tracking visitors can be done in different
Granted, if this is a "real" CA. But if you use it like in my PoC not
for the typical CA scenario, but for user tracking, you could put all
kinds of data in the certificate.

> ways and doesn't have to be with cookies - again I'm not sure what's the
> difference.
Tracking visitors in an unnoticed way over several domains is typically
not as easy as this, I believe.

> Changing the default selection for certificate
> authentication could solve the problem you stated in any case.
Correct.

> > What other browsers do:
> > - Firefox 1.5: Does not allow you to install a client certificate that
> >   is from a CA which you don't trust. I still believe this was a decent
> >   default setting.
> >
> Are you sure there was a change? I don't remember this to be the case of
> pre-2.0 Firefox either.
I've actually tested that again and it also works in Firefox 1.5 - and
even "better" there, because the certificate installation does not show
any dialog at all. This reduces the visibility to a short key generation
pop up! No idea why I thought it did not work in 1.5, though.

Best regards,
  Alex
--
Dipl.-Math. Alexander Klink | IT-Security Engineer |    a.klink@...ops.de