Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 10:24:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Steven Adair" <steven@...urityzone.org>
To: "Crispin Cowan" <crispin@...ell.com>
Cc: "pdp " <pdp.gnucitizen@...glemail.com>,
	"@slashmail.org,  full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,  Gadi Evron <ge@...uxbox.org>"@lists.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: 0day: PDF pwns Windows

Not in my book.  I guess the people on this list are working off too many
different definitions of 0day.  0day to me is something for which there is
no patch/update at the time of the exploit being coded/used.  So if I code
an exploit for IE right now and they don't patch it until April September
2008, it's a 0day exploit for a year.  It's not necessarily new and it
doesn't have to be used maliciously.

If I code an exploit (for which there is no patch) and use it on my own
servers, does that mean it's not 0day?  I don't think so.  If my WordPress
blog gets owned by pwnpress, that's not 0day.. there's patches/updates for
everything on there.  It just makes me an idiot for not upgrading.  Now if
I get hit with some WP exploit that's not patched, then that's another
[0-day] story.

Steven
securityzone.org