Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 14:52:28 -0400
From: "Kurt Dillard" <kurtdillard@....com>
To: "Thierry Zoller" <Thierry@...ler.lu>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>,
	<full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: URI handling woes in Acrobat Reader, Netscape,
	Miranda, Skype

In my opinion, every application should handle incoming data as bad data.
Its poor programming to assume that incoming data is properly formatted and
safe to process as is, even if the data is supposed to come from a process
you own. Why so extreme? Because the bad guys are going to figure out how to
get bad data to your code using pathways you didn't consider. In other
words, I agree with Geo that each of the applications should inspect the URI
before processing it. The OS components that are involved should too, but
the 3rd party apps should never assume that IE or whatever has done so.