Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 04:35:07 -0600
From: nocfed <nocfed@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Cc: XSS Worm XSS Security Information Portal
	<cross-site-scripting-security@...worm.com>
Subject: Re: Wordpress 2.3 Cross Domain Content Insertion-
	New vulnerability + exploit - xssworm.com

One word: sandbox

XSS only exists in OUTPUT, while filtering should exist in both INPUT and
OUTPUT.  In fact, filtering is not the correct word to use as you should
ONLY allow EXPECTED input via GET and require a POST for user controlled
input.  Upon first review it would be thought that you could create JS to
just form.submit() but as only expected input is allowed via the GET then
that will not be an issue.

Unless you find a way to escape the sandbox, the end user has the
destination site in their local zones, they are using an extension that
evaluates pages in chrome://, or just a buggy extension, then there will be
no interactive javascript ``shell''.

One could construct the XSS/CSS to grab an AJAX type of framework from a
remote site, but then that site would need to be trusted by the client.
Your best bet would be to construct the JS to initialize an JRE Applet and
somehow(probably not too hard) get the end user to accept the foreign
applet, which would also need to escape the JRE Sandbox Security Model(has
been done in the past).

Ohh, fun times.

Content of type "text/html" skipped