Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 18:51:47 +0100
From: Enno Rey <erey@...w.de>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: MD5 algorithm considered toxic (and harmful)

because they perform risk-analysis:
- what are the threats to my assets?
- which role does MD5 play there?
- any subsequent risk then from using it?
- high priority risk? mitigating controls or risk acceptance?

would you be so kind to show me a real-world attack against a VPN using MD5 hashing? ...

thanks,

Enno

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 06:39:56PM +0100, James Matthews wrote:
> I agree! It should be changed and i have no idea why people still use it!
>
> On Dec 1, 2007 4:20 PM, Steven Adair <steven@...urityzone.org> wrote:
>

> > > There you have it.  Surely a GPL'd tool implementing this attack style
> > > will be available shortly.  And since Chinese researchers have been
> > > attacking SHA-1 lately, should SHA-256 be considered the proper
> > > replacement?  I am unsure :-(
> >
> > Yes, it would probably be a good idea.  I think this link has been put out
> > on this list in the past with respect to discussion on SHA-1:
> >
> > http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/toolkit/secure_hashing.html
> >
> > NIST might not be the bible to you on what to follow and implement, but
> > they are definitely worth listening to (even if you're not a U.S. Federal
> > agency) when they tell you not to use something anymore.  For those that
> > don't want to click and just want to read, here's the relevant parts:
> >
> > ----
> >
> > March 15, 2006: The SHA-2 family of hash functions (i.e., SHA-224,
> > SHA-256, SHA-384 and SHA-512) may be used by Federal agencies for all
> > applications using secure hash algorithms. Federal agencies should stop
> > using SHA-1 for digital signatures, digital time stamping and other
> > applications that require collision resistance as soon as practical, and
> > must use the SHA-2 family of hash functions for these applications after
> > 2010. After 2010, Federal agencies may use SHA-1 only for the following
> > applications: hash-based message authentication codes (HMACs); key
> > derivation functions (KDFs); and random number generators (RNGs).
> > Regardless of use, NIST encourages application and protocol designers to
> > use the SHA-2 family of hash functions for all new applications and
> > protocols.
> >
> > ----
> >
> > Steven
> > http://www.securityzone.org
> >
> > > --
> > > Kristian Erik Hermansen
> > > "I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious."

> --
> http://search.goldwatches.com/?Search=Movado+Watches
> http://www.jewelerslounge.com
> http://www.goldwatches.com

Enno Rey

ERNW GmbH - Breslauer Str. 28 - 69124 Heidelberg - www.ernw.de
Tel. +49 6221 480390 - Fax 6221 419008 - Cell +49 173 6745902
PGP FP 055F B3F3 FE9D 71DD C0D5  444E C611 033E 3296 1CC1

Handelsregister Heidelberg: HRB 7135
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Roland Fiege, Enno Rey