Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 08:55:06 -0500
From: "Jay" <jay.tomas@...osecguru.com>
To: <fdiggle@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: on xss and its technical merit

Saying XSS isn't a vulnerability is like like saying a binary that has a buffer overflow isn't vulnerable. XSS needs javascript , binary needs its own malcode as well.

Every vulnerability needs a medium to be exploited.

Naysayers of XSS want some elegant exciting actions. Its not. Its a case of not sanitizing input that allows arbitrary code to be executed. Simple things like umm secure coding, url scan, mod_security, noscript could combat this easily.

Its like someone walking past a car and seeing a million dollars sitting in the front seat. Thief opens unlocked door and takes money. Now a more elegant way would be to manipulate the chemical composition of the glass back to a gaseous form and reaching through. Either way the loot is gone.

I really dont understand why some in this community are so quick to say this is no find, this isnt new, this is <insert blah>. I guess it makes them feel intelluctually superior to tear down the ideas of others whether they deserve it or not. In some cases they do. Are members of this community so starved for their own self worth that they strive to squash the ideas of others instinctively? Would make for a interesting study.

Jay "><script>alert('YAY!')</script>