Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:01:40 -0600
From: <uncleron@...hmail.com>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,<jlevitsk@...hie.com>
Subject: Re: HP Photosmart vulnerabilities

A low price for the printer does not give the vendor a free pass
for shipping insecure products.  Since this type of printer is
targeted for home/home office use, it would be valid to ask why
SNMP is enabled in the first place.

Please explain how this printer would be any less easy to use if HP
had used non default community strings in the firmware?  In a
home/home office environment, the only thing that might have a
valid need to communicate with the printer via SNMP would be HP's
software, which could just as easily use a non default community
string.