Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:35:19 -0500
From: gmaggro <gmaggro@...ers.com>
To: Full Disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: back to high value targets

Several months ago I blathered about this topic, and the following
incident backs some of my previous assertions:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/31/internet.blackout.asia

And a quip from the article that just tickles me pink: "...The outage,
which is being blamed on a fault in a single undersea cable..."

This is all assuming that the story is true; that it is one cable, and
not a cover for something else. Glomar Explorer and K-129 anyone? Maybe
they're just patching in another Echelon node, hehe :)

Doesn't really matter how or why the damage occured, the point is that
fairly massive single points of failure clearly exist. What does matter
is how similar results could be replicated by a loose coalition of
like-minded individuals using highly insecure media.

Tons of maps and resources at wikipedia and
www.iscpc.org/cabledb/01Cable_Database_Page.htm

I seriously wonder what the bandwidth of those are. Clearly they're not
as well planned or maintained as one might think, so I suspect slop
abounds in other areas of their configuration. Could one million retards
with cablemodems saturate a cable? How would you co-ordinate entry
points for huge masses of nodes such that you could be certain the
output was confined to a single cable?

On a somewhat related note, it's always been my guess that very little
net traffic, relatively speaking, is carried over satellites due to the
distance and lag issues. Is this a foolish notion?

Hail Xenu!