Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:40:12 -0800 (PST)
From: secreview <secreview@...hmail.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: [Professional IT Security Providers - Exposed]
 Layer 9 Corporation ( D )

This will be our shortest review yet. We've spent the past three weeks
trying to get hold of the Layer 9 Corporation. We've placed several
telephone calls (well over a dozen), and sent multiple emails all of
which to no avail. As a result, this review is being done strictly on
the information that we were able to collect from the Layer 9 Website
located at http://www.layer9corp.com.Short of the Layer 9 Website
containing sounds that go "plink" and "swoosh" when the page loads, and
short of the page being ugly and partially broken, its not all that
bad. Each section of the website is well written. The services are
clearly defined along with the service limitations. In fact, we were
surprised as to how honest Layer 9 was on their website, we'll go so
far as to call it refreshing.Under the testing section of the Layer 9
website they clearly state that if they can not perform a specific
service that they will find someone who can. Under the PCI section they
say up front that they are not a PCI certified vendor, but that they
can help companies to prepare for PCI compliance testing. This is the
first time that we've encountered a business that tells customers what
they can't do, instead of pretending that they can do everything.We do
take a few points away from Layer 9 because they resell third party
hardware and software. We feel that companies who resell third party
technologies become bias towards selling those technologies even if a
better technology solution exists. This might not stand true for a
business that makes such a strong effort to be honest like Layer 9, but
it most certainly is true for most IT Security Providers.We also
noticed that Layer 9 seems to be more geared towards offering IT
services than Professional IT Security Services. They sell PIX
firewalls and discuss services that are designed to help their
customers improve the performance of their IT Infrastructure. They do
not offer the more advanced IT Security Services.Based on the little
bit of information that we were able to collect about Layer 9, it is
our opinion that Layer 9 is a trustworthy company that will only offer
services to their customers that they are capable of delivering. We can
not comment on the talent or capabilities of Layer 9 as we couldn't
find any information related to that. Likewise, we can not comment on
the quality of their services.If anyone reads this review and knows how
to get hold of people at Layer 9, please contact us at
secreview@...gspot.com. We'd like to re-write this review after having
interviewed Layer 9 people. Thanks for reading! (Yes we know that this
is a light post).Score Card (Click to Enlarge)

--
Posted By secreview to Professional IT Security Providers - Exposed at
2/06/2008 10:16:00 AM