Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:57:39 +1100
From: Pat <hermens.p@...il.com>
To: "Blatant Lier" <blatantlier@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Is yahoo.com serving malware? [Was: More High
	Profile Sites IFRAME Injected]

*.adrevolver.com is part of the BlueLithium network, which is "a premier
behavioral targeting ad network" which was acquired by Yahoo in mid-2007 - I
wouldn't say "malware" or use the word "attack" (especially considering it's
now a sister company), however unethical or intrusive this sort of thing may
be...

This is almost like the Omniture debacle a couple of months ago (
http://www.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/Full-Disclosure/2008-01/msg00202.html,
among many others dating back to 2002/03) which is used for user-tracking in
and around certain sites to check page hits, time spent between clicks,
referring servers, etc.

If this is upsetting you on a personal level, maybe you should try some of
the workarounds, including the ad-blocking extensions in Firefox, or
host-file modifications on Windows systems...?

On 18/03/2008, Blatant Lier <blatantlier@...il.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:51 AM, Dancho Danchev
> <dancho.danchev@...il.com> wrote:
> >
> > lib.ncsu.edu; fulldownloads.us; cso.ie; dblife.cs.wisc.edu;
> > www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk; ehawaii.gov; timeanddate.com;
> > boisestate.edu; aoa.gov; gustavus.edu; archive.org;
> > gsbapps.stanford.edu; bushtorrent.com; ccie.com; uvm.edu; thehipp.org;
> > mnsu.edu; camajorityreport.com; medicare.gov; usamriid.army.mil
> >

> http://ddanchev.blogspot.com/2008/03/more-high-profile-sites-iframe-injected.html
> >

> It would look as if yahoo.com is serving malware. I got this little
> fellow:
>
> http://media.adrevolver.com/{---remove
> this---}adrevolver/trace?sip=103&cpy=1205797527644342&bt=AAAEEIGsMo0L
> [note that the link has been purposefully broken with "{---remove
> this---}"]
>
> while hitting yahoo at 4:45pm EDT. As of this time it is still there.
>
> Considering that yahoo.com is one of the top destination these days, I
> believe we can expect this attack to be fairly successful.
>
> BL

Content of type "text/html" skipped