Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:54:56 -0400
From: Kern <timetrap@...il.com>
To: nnp <version5@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: agile hacking?

The world does NOT need another Hacking Exposed.  But it does need (and
always will need) a modern book of Computer Security Fundamentals.  There
should be little to NO focus on tools (as these change quite often), the
bulk of the focus should be on the Fundamentals and Standards;

(I am mainly familiar with networking, i.e. this is not an exhaustive
listing of Fundamentals)

Border Security -- DoD "Barrier Reef"
Defense in Depth
Protocol Attacks (How the protocols work, and how they can be manipulated)
Using a Debugger
Traffic Analysis
Probing (Nmap, nc, etc.)
ISO Guidlines and Standards (also NIST, NSA, etc)
Reading and Creating a CVE
etc.

By focusing less on the tools, and more on the thought process, you will be
doing yourself and the "community" a favor.

Security/Auditing/Hacking is a Process not a Tool.

Content of type "text/html" skipped