Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:17:44 +0000
From: "Petko D. Petkov" <pdp.gnucitizen@...glemail.com>
To: "John C. A. Bambenek, GCIH, CISSP" <bambenek.infosec@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, Larry Seltzer <Larry@...ryseltzer.com>
Subject: Re: OpenID. The future of authentication on the
	web?

what about usernames? you still need to keep track of your usernames
since sometimes your preferred username is either taken or not
possible or you need to login via email or any other peculiarity the
site supports.

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 2:43 PM, John C. A. Bambenek, GCIH, CISSP
<bambenek.infosec@...il.com> wrote:
> I would disagree.  One could simply create a template password and then salt
> it with some acronym for the site in question.
>
> For instance, S0m3p4ss!### where ### is a 3-letter acronym for the site they
> are accessing.  Still need only one password to remember and you don't
> necessarily have a single point of 0wnership anymore.

> > and passwords, but when you give up control of your data, you give up
> > control of your future.
> >
> > Normal people aren't going to remember enough passwords, let alone
> > strong passwords, to make that control meaningful. I do get your point,
> > but I bet that the best alternative is to give them one set of
> > credentials and make it as strong as possible.
> >

> > Larry Seltzer
> > eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
> > http://security.eweek.com/
> > http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/
> > Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
> > larry.seltzer@...fdavisenterprise.com

Petko D. (pdp) Petkov | GNUCITIZEN | Hakiri | Spin Hunters

gnucitizen.org | hakiri.org | spinhunters.org