Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:20:32 -0400
From: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To: reepex <reepex@...il.com>
Cc: Luigi Auriemma <aluigi@...istici.org>, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Secunia Research: Lotus Notes Folio Flat File
	Parsing Buffer Overflows

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:17:14 CDT, reepex said:
> I find it funny you are the one to complain about too many advisories when
> you spam the list with sprintf and strcpy bugs you grepped for in random
> applications everyday
>
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Luigi Auriemma <aluigi@...istici.org> wrote:

> > It's just like if someone finds a bug in zlib and releases 10000
> > advisories, one for each program in the world which uses the library...
> > the bug is not in these 10000 programs but only in zlib.

And in fact, the last time there was a bug in zlib, there *were* a zillion
advisories, because at the time, a zillion packages carried their own private
copy of zlib around because it may or may not have been available on the
target system, or because they statically linked zlib in so just updating the
system copy of the shared library doesn't help.

Nobody (as far as I know) filed an advisory for packages that used the system
zlib, only for those packages that wouldn't be fixed by updating the system
copy.

I'd be interested in knowing what Luigi would recommend be done for such
packages...