Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:01:26 -0400
From: "Joey Mengele" <joey.mengele@...hmail.com>
To: joey.mengele@...hmail.com, ganbold@...om.mng.net, news@...donald.net
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: lots of connections to 64.40.117.19 port 80

News,

I believe you are missing something. XSS is merely a type of
vulnerability. It is very common for an XSS payload to include a
DDoS component. If you had done your research before retorting you
would have known this.

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:25:38 -0400 news@...donald.net wrote:
>Joey,
>
>a text book case? Prehaps im missing something, but see nothing in
>Genbolds email which makes me consider XSS. XSS is often a small
>amount of
>traffic, with HTML and javascript in post request content or get
>request
>query strings.
>
>Ganbold,
>
>In my opinion, it's more likely it's one of the following
>
>* brute force or dictionary attack on a login form, prehaps using
>a botnet
>to mask the actual attacker
>* DDOS, again prehaps from a botnet
>* DOS, prehaps creating half open connects using a random spoofed
>source
>addresses (try and check to see if the addresses are random, or
>come for a
>fixed set of IPs).
>* Someone looking for hidden files and directories
>* An automated script scraping the website for dynamic or a large
>amount
>of content, or some other tool which is malfunctioning
>* The website is just really popular and your client needs to
>upgrade
>their kit
>
>Attempt to find out what kind of requests (if any) are being sent
>to the
>server, prehaps using a tool like wireshark, and that should tell
>you a
>little about what is going on.
>
>Best,
>
>Renski
>
>> Ganbold,
>>
>> This sounds like a textbook case of Cross Site Scripting (XSS).
>> Consider filtering user output more carefully.

>> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 03:54:24 -0400 Ganbold
><ganbold@...om.mng.net>
>> wrote:
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Recently I have seen a lots of connections to 64.40.117.19 port
>80
>>>in
>>>one of our clients network.
>>>Connections are coming from all over the Internet (various
>>>different
>>>IPs) specifically to this IP.
>>>Due to this problem (I guess it is DDoS) one of our router's CPU
>>>usage
>>>grew up to 100% and stopped a service
>>>for a while.
>>>What kind of problem this could be?
>>>Has anybody seen this kind of attack before?
>>>I appreciate if somebody can enlighten me in this regard.
>>>
>>>thanks in advance,
>>>
>>>Ganbold
>>>
>>>--
>>>The more control, the more that requires control.

>> --
>> Click to make millions by owning your own franchise.
>>
>http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4eB8rENcAX63OKyEklXhdt1htMFgy2
>tF8DC8RCA04pNI4uPe/

Click for free info on java training and make up to $150K/ year.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4dF2hsQe7rjKREuMEZUMbOiW1TlmDQoeYf9rVR1TpfIdqpza/