Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:51:54 -0400
From: "Micheal Cottingham" <techie.micheal@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Security issue in Filezilla
	3.0.9.2:passwordsare stored in plain text (sitemanager.xml)

But, but, feet are tasty.

I can't believe people are commenting in here not knowing that FTP is
plaintext. Any infosec 101 book will tell you this. Along with telnet.
Don't use them, use the secure alternatives, such as FTPS or SFTP
(which is indeed a subprocess of SSH, look at sshd.conf if you don't
believe me, nevermind that it was already covered) and SSH in place of
telnet. Those protocols are specifically meant to replace their
insecure counterparts.

Here's a few references on this "discovery."

http://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5906&p=20285&hilit=xml+plaintext#p20285
http://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1328&p=4660&hilit=xml+plaintext#p4660

If you don't want your passwords stored in this manner, remember your
passwords or use a password manager.