Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 09:01:49 -0400
From: "Jesse Bacon" <dread.roberts@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, nadengine@...glemail.com
Subject: Re: Full-Disclosure Digest, Vol 39, Issue 25

To get rid of spoofed internal emails you need to use iptables at your
routers and firewalls to disable SMTP (TCP25) traffic from any host other
than your dedicated mail servers.  Set a default policy of DENY for SMTP
traffic and then an ALLOW declaration for each of the mail servers in your
organization.  Additionally disable telnet login for your mail server.  The
use of a security product such as Security Blanket TM (www.trustedcs.com) on
your in-house linux machines will help as well.   As for the issue with
spoofed external e-mails using internal addresses I recommend looking for
security measures  that are  home-brewed.  For example  you could create  a
transparent gig that  contains  a  security code  and embed it in the
signature  of all e-mails originating within your infrastructure.  Then use
a simple script to check for the existence of that file upon receipt.  If
the email does not contain that file then drop before delivery.  Also you
could require PGP signatures.
-Jesse