Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:52:30 -0300
From: "Kurt Dillard" <kurtdillard@....com>
To: "'Paul Schmehl'" <pschmehl_lists_nada@...rr.com>,
	<full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Need some help with management

If your team isn't going to be managing this server who is?

Ask him this: would it be ok for your penpal from Russia to bring his family over and move into your boss' spare bedroom for a few months until they find their own place? Come on, it will be fine, you've been trading emails with this guy for a couple of years now. He told you he has a job lined up over here so he won't be a financial burden or anything. His kids sound like fun too, your boss' family will love them!

You don't just want to try to shoot down the idea without having alternatives prepared. If all you do is try to negate business initiatives you'll find all of the managers trying to bypass you in the future. You need to be seen as a strategic enabler rather than a blocker. I suggest you determine what the business reasons are for this decision and then try to find a better solution that protects your organization's sensitive data and systems while addressing the original requirements. Do they want to share data with a key partner? Do they want to outsource some work? What purpose will the system serve?