Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:46:02 +0100
From: "John D. Reason" <somestupidaddress@...hmail.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: DNS spoofing issue. Thoughts on

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 23:19:53 +0100 n3td3v <xploitable@...il.com>
wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Paul Schmehl
><pschmehl_lists@...rr.com> wrote:
>> there *is* such a thing as criminal negligence.)
>>

>Could we not charge HD Moore and I)ruid with this?
>
>All the best,
>
>n3td3v

Stop trying to stifle the freedom of researchers, free thinkers and
white hat hackers! You who would give the decisions of such things
to an arbitrary authority who knows little of the issues involved.
Whether or not you like how close a specific individual dances to
the line of acceptability or not, to criminalize the research, the
code and the discussion of such things is a slippery slope all the
way to failtown.

It is the USE of such things for unethical or unlawful purposes
that is the problem. It would be nice to say how terrible and evil
it is to aide an attacker in any way, but to do so is to live in a
lollipop house on gumdrop lane where the awkward complexities of
real life are conveniently ignored. Many things can consequentially
aide an attacker, but that doesn't automatically tip the balance of
whether something does more good than it does bad.

The narrow mindedness that cannot see the far reaching consequences
of a sweeping conclusion drawn from highly specific example could
be the ruin of us all. Your reasoning ignores the wide ranging
positions and priorities of all those who need to be protected.

Huzzah!

--
Find ladders for every job by clicking here now.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4dbUnPp9mtXbBPFE5uIHk2i55SpJlvA4KJphs8azf72Eap2w/