Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:33:10 -0500
From: Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams@....com>
To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@...workresonance.com>
Cc: Dan Kaminsky <dan@...para.com>, cryptography@...zdowd.com,
	Dave Korn <dave.korn@...imi.com>,
	full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	'OpenID List' <general@...nid.net>, security@...nid.net
Subject: Re: OpenID/Debian PRNG/DNS Cache poisoning
	advisory

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 11:20:15AM -0700, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> At Fri, 08 Aug 2008 10:43:53 -0700,
> Dan Kaminsky wrote:
> > Funnily enough I was just working on this -- and found that we'd end up
> > adding a couple megabytes to every browser.  #DEFINE NONSTARTER.  I am
> > curious about the feasibility of a large bloom filter that fails back to
> > online checking though.  This has side effects but perhaps they can be
> > made statistically very unlikely, without blowing out the size of a browser.
>
> Why do you say a couple of megabytes? 99% of the value would be
> 1024-bit RSA keys. There are ~32,000 such keys. If you devote an
> 80-bit hash to each one (which is easily large enough to give you a
> vanishingly small false positive probability; you could probably get
> away with 64 bits), that's 320KB.  Given that the smallest Firefox
> [...]

You could store {<hash>, <seed>} and check matches for false positives
by generating a key with the corresponding seed and then checking for an
exact match -- slow, but rare.  This way you could choose your false
positive rate / table size comfort zone and vary the size of the hash
accordingly.

Nico