Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:06:09 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gadi Evron <ge@...uxbox.org>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Cc: funsec@...uxbox.org, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Internet attacks against Georgian web sites

This is an update of my previous post on the subject.

To be honest here, no one truly knows whats going on in Georgia's Internet
except for what can be glimpsed from outside, and what has been written by
the Georgians on their blog
(http://georgiamfa.blogspot.com/2008/08/cyber-attacks-disable-georgian-websites.html
outside their country). They are probably a bit busy avoiding kinetic
bombing.

As mentioned in the previous post, Renesys has been following the Georgian
links, which seem to be there, but occasionally drop due to possibly power
failures. Renesys URL here:
http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/08/georgia_clings_to_the_net.shtml

Shadowserver and others have been following the botnets attacking the
Georgians web sites, and that is confirmed as happening. Shadowserver was
quoted, here:
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9112399&intsrc=hm_list

According to Dancho Danchev, there have also been some defacements, which
he describes here, along with other conclusions I don't necessarily agree
with: http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1670

So--it is clear their web sites are under attack, and that Internet
visibility-wise, the impact is real for the Georgians. And yet, it is
simply too early and there is not enough information to call this an
Internet war. It is too early to establish motive or who the perpetrator
is, however much we may want to point fingers.

Following every and any political or ethnic tension, world-wide, an online
aftermath comes, in the form of attacks, defacements, and enthusiast
hackers swearing at the other side (which soon does the same, back).

While Georgia's suffering is real, such attacks are nothing but routine
here in Israel. When I ran the defense for the Israeli government Internet
operation and then the Israeli government CERT, such attacks would occur
daily. Hackers on the other side would band together, talk, coordinate a
date, exchange tools, and attack.

While I apologize for the analogy, post-9/11 Israelis were shocked. We
were sympathizing and crying for the victims. What we did not understand
was why people were still shocked ten minutes past, as this was a normal
every-day life happening for us over here. The same applies for
cyber-space, the Internet--we are used to this.

The difference in this attack was that the Georgian authorities, like
numerous others around the world still aren't, were not prepared to face
and fend against such an attack.

In my article "Fighting Botnets and Online Mobs" for the Georgetown
Journal of International Affairs covering the Internet war in Estonia, I
state how our opponents will no longer be just countries, or even
organizations as Martin van Creveld once predicted ahead of his time, but
that on the Internet playing field any individual or loosely affiliated
group can be a player, affecting countries and yes, corporations as well.
My article can be found here:
http://www.ciaonet.org/journals/gjia/v9i1/0000699.pdf

The best article describing the events so far is by John Markoff at the
New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/technology/13cyber.html?em

Gadi Evron.