Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 19:16:43 +0100
From: A.L.M.Buxey@...ro.ac.uk
To: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE - RFIDIOt version 0.1t released

Hi,

> What % have access *and* are sufficiently criminal-minded to want to take
> advantage of the exploit?  Remember that *most* people are basically law-abiding

...unless its easy of cheap/free to break the non invasive or
damaging 'laws' (eg copyright infringemnt) - many many people
who tread the right side are quick to grab a free DVD copied
via a mate...or run azureus or bitcomet et al on their PC
to get a few nice freebies.

> I'll predict that they'll see a 3%-5% drop in revenue, hardly big enough
> that they need to "lift the barrier".

I dont know what the rest of europe is like these days,
but when I travelled in Berlin and some of germany last
year, I bought my ticket at a ticket machine and self-stamped
it at a validator on the platform. there was no barrier.
I then travelled on many trains and not once was my ticket
checked. after a week i had not one check on the train.
travelling up to four times a day. not a single inspector
to be seen.  so. why buy a ticket? well, I'm not familiar
with the local charges and fines...so i didnt attempt
to find out - however, their trains were much much cheaper
than in the UK and they were throwing away tonnes of cash
to ticket inspectors who bother all the innocent
travellers in the UK (on a typical journey you can be
asked to show your ticket up to 4 times on a single
journey (entering station, twice on train and exiting
station).

I also noted the 'self validation' methods that seem to
be popping up everywhere else other than UK - eg france,
croatia, germany etc where you board a bus or tram
via the non-driver doors and slip your ticket into
the machine yourself. once again, no obvious enforement,
the fares were very cheap..and i did note a few people
who just slipped on board and didnt pay.

alan