Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 15:42:35 -0400
From: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To: A.L.M.Buxey@...ro.ac.uk
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE - RFIDIOt version 0.1t released

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 19:16:43 BST, A.L.M.Buxey@...ro.ac.uk said:
> ...unless its easy of cheap/free to break the non invasive or
> damaging 'laws' (eg copyright infringemnt) - many many people
> who tread the right side are quick to grab a free DVD copied
> via a mate...or run azureus or bitcomet et al on their PC
> to get a few nice freebies.

However, at least *some* hardware is needed, and I'm not expecting those
who possess the hardware needed will be doing it for free for enough people
for it to matter, and the number of people willing to pay for use/rental
will be low enough to not matter either.

> to be seen.  so. why buy a ticket? well, I'm not familiar
> with the local charges and fines...so i didnt attempt
> to find out
> the fares were very cheap..and i did note a few people
> who just slipped on board and didnt pay.

Exactly.  If the number of freeloaders is "a few people", there really isn't
much reason to deploy much of an actual security system, as the system will
cost more than the recovered revenue.

Berlin's trains are cheap, so not much security is needed at all.
UK they're more expensive, to the point where putting a ticket inspector
on each train is cost-effective (note that the inspector is mostly a deterrent,
changing the cost/benefit analysis for people who were thinking of freeloading).

Remember - the security doesn't need to be perfect - it merely needs to be
good enough to be cost-effective.