Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:11:50 -0400
From: "Garrett M. Groff" <groffg@...design.com>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: security industry software license

Fiat licensure laws are invariably used (if not intended) to restrict new
entrants in a profession. The idea is to benefit existing members in that
profession (who are "grandfathered" into licensure by virtue of having
worked in that profession for a duration) and to constrict, by law, labor
competition with those who are already in that profession. In the short
term, existing members benefit at the expense of the consumer of the
products/services generated by members of the profession in question.

In the longer term, it's possible that aggregate loss of competitiveness of
the profession in question might cause alternatives to emerge and for the
protected, licensed members to achieve sub-optimal economic results even
among themselves. A non-identical (but related) legal construct, unions, is
causing this "aggregate loss" in the American "big 3" automobile
manufacturers, as well as other economic factors.