Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 11:26:30 +0000
From: mcwidget <mcwidget@...il.com>
To: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Securing our computers?

> Given the number of things that simply aren't detected/removed by current
> AV solutions, what makes you think that this would make any real measurable
> difference?
>
> For that matter, what makes you think that this hypothetical NAP would be
> any more secure?

A solution like this wouldn't make any difference to  users who already keep
their AV / patch status up-to-date, of course it wouldn't.  What it may do,
is increase the % of home users who keep their AV / patch status
up-to-date.  This, would be a Good Thing.

As to the security of the box itself, you're right, it may not be any more
secure than any cable modem box currently out there.  What could be done
though, is the security on these boxes could be tightened/restricted to our
heart's content as this would not impact the user's everyday use.

Most user's want their home PCs to be secure.  The problem is, they want
ease-of-use more.  I've lost count of the number of user's who think they
*need* a firewall but who automatically click "Allow" on their firewall
pop-ups because "that stopped it coming back".  By moving some security
logic onto a different box in the home, that box can be tightened/restricted
without affecting the user.

This isn't a silver bullet, of course there are problems with this.  This is
intended as an example of things that may help.

Content of type "text/html" skipped