Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 15:38:59 -0500
From: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To: Bernhard Brehm <bruhns@...urity-labs.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urity-focus.com
Subject: Re: DoS attacks on MIME-capable software via
	complex MIME emails

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 19:12:26 +0100, Bernhard Brehm said:

> I (re)discovered the bug independently in mid 2007. The bug was however
> known before. There are some advisories like secunia.com/advisories/11360/
> (for Eudora, bug still unfixed) by people who discovered the problem
> before, but did not publicly announce or did not see the scope of it. More
> recently, there has been a likewise advisory for sendmail, CVE-2006-1173.
> There have been other advisories for different antivirus solutions. This
> bug is not 0-day at all, it is really old. If you find older advisories,
> which cover this bug, or knew it before, mail me so I can update this
> section.

You want *real* loads of fun? Go read up on message/partial ;)

"Nesty" and "multikill" were already recognized as a potential issue all the
way back in 1996. Mike Weston worries about thousands of bodyparts, and Ned
Freed thought that deep nesting was more likely to be an issue:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-calendar/archive1/msg00487.html